How can you Stand Out Online
There are millions of websites on the internet and standing out from the online crowd can be an overwhelming task for web designers. Every now and then, design trends and SEO algorithms evolve and figuring out which trends would actually work can be very confusing. To keep things simple, here are a few tried-and-tested tips that will help you become a prominent segment in your industry.
With COVID-19 changing the way we shop, now more than ever is a time to get your website on point
Web hosting matters. If you want to stand out from your competitors and attract to your target audience, you need to consider a lot of things; web hosting is one of them.
Nowadays, a good hosting package is essential for any business. It will serve as the backbone of your website and help you achieve your business goals. Just like a skyscraper, your website must have a good foundation to rise above any marketing challenges you may encounter.
There are many companies offering web hosting packages and you usually get what you pay for. To help you choose the right company, here are the things you need to consider.
- Great reputation. Always remember that not all that glitters is gold. A lot of companies have flashy or irresistible marketing but cannot deliver the goods. Take the time to research the company. How long have they offered their services? Who are their clients? Are their clients satisfied with their services? Do they offer reasonable rates for their services?
- Reliable support. Problems may arise at any moment so a web hosting company must be capable of offering you a 24/7 technical support. For this instance, let’s say you are the owner of an e-commerce website selling grocery items. Your website suddenly goes offline at midnight. When it comes to an e-commerce website, every second counts. You immediately call your web hosting provider with the hopes of getting some kind of assistance but their technical support team is unavailable. So you decide to write them an email with all the details of your problem but you are immediately replied with a ticket support with an emergency turnaround time of ‘God knows how long’. This isn’t an ideal setting. Choose the company with a 24/7 technical support team who can troubleshoot your website whenever you need it.
- 9% uptime guarantee. Consider the previous scenario as an example. You have called their phone lines but the customer or technical support is not available. You have sent an email but they were not able to get back to you ASAP. Let’s just say that they were able to reply to your email after 24 hours. That means your e-commerce website has been down for 1 full day! Think about the impact it can do with your profits. It would be a wise decision to collaborate with a reliable web hosting company that can offer uptime guarantees of 99.9%, which is already an industry-standard, and give your website the least possible problems.
Improve user experience and lower your bounce rate. User experience is the perception of an individual and his or her responses, including emotional responses, from using a product, service or system. Bounce rate, on the other hand, is one of the metrics that determine if your website visitors find your website interesting or not. Specifically, it is the percentage of people who visit a page on your website and don’t visit another.
In order for your website to stand out, you need to take note of this; improving the user experience of your website will increase the probability of your target audience happiness, decreasing bounce rates and increasing the possibility that your target audience will take positive action on your website (subscribe to your email list, purchase your products, schedule a service, etc.).
There are many ways to improve the user experience. If you want your target audience to stay longer on your website, take the time to consider the following tips.
- Boost the speed of your website. According to studies, the average attention span of internet users nowadays is 8 seconds, more or less. If your website will not load completely in less than 8 seconds, chances are, your visitors won’t stay for long and may even transfer to your competitor. According to statistics, almost 50% of internet users expect a website to load completely in 2 seconds or less while around 40% of them leave the website if it will take more than 3 seconds to completely load. Search engines also love fast loading websites and would likely rank them higher on search results.
- Make your website clean, interesting and free from clutter. They say that first impressions last. To impress your website visitors, make sure your website has a great layout, unconventional typography, full-screen video and great storytelling elements (by using eye-catching designs, maximalism, image styles, motions graphics, colour, shape and etc.). Maximise the use of white space and utilise a layout that will compel the visitors to perform specific actions that you desire (subscription, lead, sale, booking, enquiry, etc.). It would also help if you will provide a free offer: who doesn’t want to get something for free?
- Your website should be mobile-friendly. We live in the age of smartphones. Statistics actually show that almost 50% of internet users use their mobile phones to visit websites. If your website is not optimised for mobile phones, your visitors may have a poor user experience. You certainly don’t want that to happen to your website, do you? To satisfy mobile users, your website must be easy to navigate, responsive, has fewer images and free from irrelevant content.
- Provide relevant content that your visitors would like to read. Aside from helping your visitors easily find what they are looking for, engage them to pay attention to your website by providing content that speaks to their wants and needs. Make sure your content is clear and formatted for easy reading. This means maximising the white space in your website, using bullet lists, creating relevant and compelling headlines and refraining from large blocks of paragraphs.